Saturday 12 February 2011

Foo Fighers - New Album


1st teaser: Bridge Burning

The Foo Fighters have finished recording their seventh studio album which is set to be released later this year, in April. Produced by the legendary Butch Vig and recorded in Dave Grohl's garage, the album has already been teased through a couple of 30 second snippets, and promises to be their heaviest yet. This of course comes after extensive dabbling with the acoustic guitars on their last two albums. Former Nirvana band mate, Krist Novoselic will be playing bass and accordion on one of the tracks and guitarist Pat Smear is also confirmed to be playing on all tracks after rejoining the band as they toured their last album.

I have been a big Foo Fighter fan ever since There is Nothing Left to Lose, I have witnessed the band go from a popular band to one of the biggest bands in the planet, but after 2007's Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace I have felt myself sadly becoming less interested in the band. Personally, I felt that the band faltered after 2003's One by One, which I quite liked as an album in itself but one that saw the band go through a bit of trouble to produce. 2005's double album In Your Honour was founded on an identity crisis, creating one disc of the loudest material of their career and another disc that was dedicated entirely to acoustic guitar. I think it was a bit of a crime separating these two streams because the Foos have always been a band that worked on these two levels. They crossed the streams with their last album, Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace but you still had these two elements seemingly working against one another, sometimes within the same song. It seemed impossible to recapture the essence of songs like Aurora, but maybe this is the problem of a band that grows older. Maybe I'm just a massive softie. 


2nd Teaser: Miss the Misery

That said, I am excited about this new album. I'm excited that they are working with Butch Vig and I'm excited that they are going back to basics. Also hoping that we may get a sequel to Stacked Actors, with Grohl, Vig, Novoselic and Pat Smear forming a low key Nirvana reunion...

No comments:

Post a Comment